Posts for: May, 2021
A dermatologist can help you get beautiful, healthy skin. When you aren’t dealing with skin problems you may not think too much about seeing a dermatologist but having a skin doctor can be particularly important even if you aren’t experiencing issues. After all, your Peoria, AZ, dermatologists aren’t just here to diagnose and treat a wide range of skin problems. They can also help you prevent problems from happening in the first place. Some of the most common reasons people visit a dermatologist include:
- Hair loss
What are the benefits of having a dermatologist that you can turn to in Peoria, AZ?
Find Out What’s Going On Quickly
Dealing with sudden hair loss? Have a painful rash that doesn’t seem to be going away? These can be unnerving symptoms and you could spend all day googling your symptoms and looking at images, or you could simply talk with your dermatologist to get a fast, accurate answer. We know just how important it is to find out what’s going on so you can get the right treatment and our team of dermatologists can give you the answers you’re looking for.
Get Clear Skin
Acne is one of the most common problems that bring patients of all ages into our office. Most people try over-the-counter cleansers but don’t always see results. While these cleansers can work for some forms of acne, you aren’t going to see effective results until you find the treatment that’s going to target the underlying cause of your acne. We can figure out the cause of your acne and then provide you with everything from medications to laser therapy and chemical peels to help ease acne symptoms.
Protect Against Skin Cancer
As many as one in five Americans will develop skin cancer during their lifetime, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Of course, you and your dermatologist can both do your part to protect against skin cancer. Along with wearing sunscreen every day and applying it properly, our team of dermatologists can also perform annual skin cancer screenings to catch precancerous and cancerous growths and lesions early on.
If you are looking for a dermatologist here in Peoria, AZ, that can provide you or your family with the comprehensive skincare they need then simply call Advanced Desert Dermatology today at 623-977-6700.
What causes rashes?
There are so many reasons why a rash may surface. Rashes may be the result of a bacterial, fungal, or viral infection, or it could be caused by an allergy. Common causes of a rash include,
- Atopic or contact dermatitis
- Pityriasis rosea
- Insect bites and stings
- Poison ivy, oak, or sumac
- Diaper rash
- Lichen planus
- Allergy to a drug/medication
Most rashes are mild, self-limiting, and can be treated on your own without having to turn to a doctor. Some ways to ease a rash and promote faster healing is by,
- Using only gentle cleansers and soaps that do not contain harsh chemicals or fragrances
- Avoiding hot water and only using lukewarm or cold water
- Being gentle when cleansing, bathing, and handling the skin
- Not covering the rash (let it breathe)
- Using only unscented products
- Applying calamine lotion to control itching
- Using hydrocortisone cream to reduce itchiness, swelling, and redness
- Not scratching the rash, as this can lead to an infection
It’s important to recognize when a rash probably requires medical attention. You should schedule an appointment with your dermatologist if,
- The rash is widespread and takes over most of your body (this could be a sign of an allergic reaction, which requires immediate attention)
- The rash is spreading quickly and suddenly
- Your rash is accompanied by a fever (this is often a sign of serious infection)
- The rash is painful or contains blisters
- There are signs of infection such as oozing, crusting, or skin that’s warm to the touch