What your dermatologist in Peoria wants you to know
Acne is the most common skin condition in the United States, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. In fact, 80% of teenagers and 5% of adults suffer from acne every year, according to the AAD. The good news is there are some things you can do to improve acne. Dr. Vernon Thomas Mackey at Advanced Desert Dermatology in Peoria, AZ wants to help you explore the lifestyle changes you can make to improve your acne.
To improve your acne, try these simple tips:
Exercise regularly to promote perspiration, which helps rid your body of dirt and toxins. Exercise also promotes increased blood flow to your skin, helping to keep your skin healthy.
- Limit stress to reduce acne breakouts. Try meditation and deep breathing exercises to manage stress.
- Limit or eliminate greasy foods, soda and dairy from your diet. Try eating natural, unprocessed foods and lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. Water flushes out the toxins from your skin.
- Clean and disinfect your cell phone regularly to prevent the spread of bacteria, oils and dirt to your face.
- Use non-comedogenic makeup that won’t clog your pores. Try oil-free skin products instead of heavy cocoa butter or mineral oil products.
- Use a different pillowcase every week to avoid sleeping in collected sweat, dirt and dust. And, if possible, try to sleep on your back to prevent your face from touching the pillow, which may be laden with dirt, sweat and bacteria.
- Use moisturizer every day to combat the drying effect of acne products. Moisturizer also helps to remove oils and makeup on your skin. Try a moisturizer with glycerin or hyaluronic acid to keep moisture in your skin.
- Use natural shampoos without fragrance or chemicals. Also try a fragrance-free laundry detergent.
- Try not to touch your face. You can transfer the bacteria and dirt on your fingers directly to your face.
These are just a few of the lifestyle remedies you can try to improve acne and prevent flare-ups. For stubborn cases of acne, you may need some help. Dr. Mackey, who offers a full range of professional treatments to eliminate acne including:
- Prescription topical or oral antibiotics
- Prescription strength benzoyl peroxide
- Extraction treatment
You don’t have to suffer from acne alone when help is just a simple phone call away. Acne doesn’t have to control your life. Get some relief by calling Dr. Mackey at Advanced Desert Dermatology in Peoria, AZ. Call today to find out more!