Acne is the most common of all skin disorders, affecting almost everyone at some point in their lives. While most people outgrow acne in their late teens or early twenties, many are affected into adulthood or even experience late onset acne. Although the exact cause of adult acne is unknown, possible causes include stress, cosmetics and hormones.
Not only is chronic adult acne frustrating, but it can also have long-lasting effects on the self-esteem and confidence of those suffering from it. To combat blemishes, follow a few basic guidelines to improve your skin's condition.
- Avoid the urge to pick or squeeze pimples. Aggravating your acne will only increase inflammation, delay the healing process and lead to scarring.
- Follow a daily skincare regimen, as recommended by your Peoria dermatologist, to remove oils, make up and sweat from the surface of your skin.
- When wearing make-up, only use oil-free cosmetics.
- Avoid over-washing your skin as this can make your acne worse.
- Wash gently with a mild facial cleanser once or twice a day. Be cautious of harsh cleansing products that lead to dry, irritated skin.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Limit exposure to sun and excess cold.
Fortunately, the physical and emotional effects of acne can be reversed with proper treatment. While adult acne can be persistent, an individualized treatment plan from our Peoria office can help you reduce blemishes, prevent scarring and eliminate your acne. With diligent home care and help from Advanced Desert Dermatology your acne can be significantly improved - enabling you to regain your confidence for a better, rejuvenated life.