Your skin is your armor—it protects you against injury and infection. Typically, people tend to concentrate on caring for their face because it is what is most noticeable to others. However, it is important to care for skin below the neck as well. Proper skin care varies by body part, as some areas have thinner, more sensitive skin than others. Your dermatologist in provides you with the information you need to properly care for your skin.
While shopping for skin care products at the pharmacy or beauty store, it may be difficult to decide what products to use on your skin. Your dermatologist offers you helpful tips in caring for the skin on each part of your body, including your:
- Face – The best way to prevent dry skin on your face is to moisturize.
- Lips – Since your lips retain less moisture than other parts of your body, they tend to dry out more quickly, which means it is important to maintain moisture by using balm several times a day.
- Hands – Your hands bare the brunt of the seasons more than any other part of your body. It is important to pay attention to your hands by applying moisturizer—especially during the flu season when we tend to wash our hands more vigorously than normal.
- Feet – Use a thick moisturizer daily on your feet to maintain moisture and keep your feet softer.
- Scalp – In order to keep your scalp from drying, wash your hair once a day with a mild shampoo and do not use water that is too hot.
- Body – Try washing your body with a moisturizing cleanser. If you have sensitive skin look for skin care products that cater to your individual skin needs.
Visit your dermatologist today, for more information on how to properly care for your skin year round. Whether your skin is normal, oily or sensitive, there is a skin care treatment just for you.