How your dermatologist in Peoria, AZ, can help with a rash
Rashes are a common skin problem, affecting people of all ages. You don’t need to suffer with an uncomfortable rash. Your dermatologist can help relieve your symptoms and get rid of your rash.
Dr. Vernon Thomas Mackey at Advanced Desert Dermatology in Peoria, AZ, provides a wide range of dermatology services, including treatment of rashes.
There are many different things that can cause you to erupt in a rash. Some of the most common causes are:
- Plants, including poison ivy
- An allergy to a substance like pet dander
- An allergy to a medication
- Excessive exposure to heat
- A bacterial or fungal infection
A rash take on many different forms too, including:
- Scaly patches on your body that itch
- Dry, flaky rashes that don’t itch
- Red spots or blemishes on your body
A rash will often go away on its own, sometimes with a little help from you. Try:
- Applying over-the-counter anti-itch cream
- Taking antihistamines orally
- Taking soothing baths with oatmeal
So, when should you see a dermatologist for your rash?
- If you’ve tried home therapies and you still have the rash
- If the rash is getting worse
- If the rash is spreading to other areas
You should also visit your dermatologist if your rash is accompanied by:
- A fever
- Nausea and vomiting
- Body aches
- Difficulty swallowing
Your dermatologist may use several different methods to treat your rash, including:
- Prescription strength oral antihistamines and oral steroids
- Prescription strength topical cortisone creams
- Antibiotics if your rash causes an infection
To find out more about rashes and when you should visit your dermatologist, call Dr. Vernon Thomas Mackey at Advanced Desert Dermatology in Peoria, AZ. You can reach him in the office by calling (623) 977-6700, so call now.