Posts for: May, 2020
You suddenly develop a rash. Should you be concerned? At Advanced Desert Dermatology in Peoria, AZ, your dermatologist, Dr. Vernon Thomas Mackey, sorts through rashes and their accompanying symptoms.You get the best treatment and healthy skin returns.
What does your rash look like?
The appearance and location of your rash tells your skin doctor much about its type and severity. While most rashes are not dangerous or life-threatening, a rash which has additional symptoms likely should be evaluated.
So, consider these rash characteristics and as needed, contact Advanced Desert Dermatology in Peoria:
- Circular rash pattern (Lyme Disease from a tick bite)
- Raised blisters on the hands or legs (poison oak, ivy or sumac)
- Blisters on the eyes, mouth or genitals (herpes)
- Widespread over the face, chest, arms and legs (often a reaction to medication, such as penicillin or sulfa, or to food, such as shellfish or peanuts)
- Hives, raised, puffy wheals or bumps which itch and feel very warm (contact, or atopic, dermatitis)
- Accompanying pus and odor (a secondary infection or impetigo, a contagious staph or strep infection)
- Itchy, oozing bumps (fungal infection, such as athlete's foot or jock itch)
- Bruising or duskiness without injury (a blood clotting disorder, such as vasculitis)
- Accompanying shortness of breath, fever or pain (shingles or chicken pox)
- Recurring (acne, eczema, rosacea)
Experts at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center say a rash which continues to spread or lingers is very concerning. It may indicate an underlying medical problem--even cancer.
Don't try treating a rash on your own. Dr. Mackey will inspect your rash and ask you when it began and what, if anything, seems to help it. He may take a skin culture or biopsy or order blood work.
Your skin treatment plan will depend on his findings. For mild rashes, such as atopic dermatitis, he may prescribe a steroidal cream, cool compresses, and avoiding known triggers such as soaps and irritating fabrics. Refrain from scratching and picking so you don't develop an infection.
Find out more
Your skin is your largest body organ and protects you from many invaders, such as bacteria, so it's important to take good care of it. Don't delay if you develop a rash and bring your rash to Advanced Desert Dermatology in Peroria, AZ. Dr. Vernon Thomas Mackey can help you have your very best skin. He has two offices to serve you. For either the West Thunderbird Road or the West Lake Pleasant Parkway locations, phone (623) 977-6700.